After the 2.5 hour delay in
I setup my luggage and zipped up my jacket amidst the 105 degree
I left the lot and headed out onto the street, turned right and was launched onto CA Hwy 41 towards the end of rush hour. The three lanes of Hwy 41 weave through dry, dusty countryside and eventually transform into a two lane country highway. The brown landscape slowly changed to hilly canyons as I made my way north of
About halfway through the 40 mile trip, I passed a brush fire burning right off the road – a potential disaster building in the hot, dry
I slowly became more comfortable with the bike. It is strong, powerful but very comfortable and smooth. The mass of the horizontal twin boxer engine creates a very low center of gravity. I began to see the wisdom in my choice to ride the bike back to
I arrived at the OakHurst lodge and checked in, noticing a brand new BMW K1100LT touring bike a few spaces down. The motel owner kindly offered me a small square of plywood to put under my side stand – to help keep it from sinking into the hot molten asphalt. Thanks check-in guy!
I parked in front of my room, dismounted and stepped back to see what I had gotten myself into. I already love this bike. It is very technical, very modern, but rides with a definite soul that comes from nearly 100 years of BMW motorcycle history.
I’m readying for sleep to the sounds of the hillbilly children festival taking place in the pool across from my room. Apparently the see-ment pond is a unique and rare treat in some circles so the children get to stay up late. Yeah I know, I’m a jerk.
It’s up early in the morning for a cool and quiet ride up into


No comments:
Post a Comment